5.14.2013

Looking Back on First Day

Yesterday was a 60-mile ride in cld, windy weather from downtown Chicago to Illinois Beach State Park. Moreover, since I had little sleep the night before while waking for the train, I was tired to boot. Perhaps I could have slept on the train, but a large, differently abled woman set beside me and kept showing her but whenever she stood up, went to the bathroom, and sat down. But Gary, George, and I did get to our first overnight stop,Illinois Beach State Park, where we set up camp, cooked, and went to sleep. This morning I found that raccoons had pilfered some cereal and trails mix from one of my panniers, but still the day is remarkably beautiful: clear blue sky, mid to upper 60s, a southern wind to our backs. It'll be a fine ride to Milwaukee.

Camp at Illinois Beach State Park
 

No comments:

"After Long Gone" at One Sentence Poems

The first of three one-sentence ghost bike poems appearing this week at One Sentence Poems. After Long Gone