3.14.2007

Through the Four Corners, Across the Northern Arizona Strip, to Ann in St. George, Utah

This section of the trek from the Arch to Tor House is interesting, taking me through the four corners, where I'll have to stop for a picture, through northern Arizona, then into Utah, next to Arizona again, and finally to St. George, Utah. I've thought about taking a side trip to the Grand Canyon, which I've never seen, and I might do that if time allows. As of now, however, the plan is to meet Ann in St. George, Utah, home of the Red Mountain Spa and Resort, where she'll be expecting me for a day or two. As a result, the side trip to the Grand Canyon is a question mark.

What's interesting about this leg is the segment that will take me through the Northern Arizona Strip, a section of the state defined by the Colorado River and the Grand Canyon. The strip is supposedly a remote section of the state and home to fundamentalist Mormons. I recently read Under the Banner of God, an interesting history of Mormon fundamentalism, those Mormons who continue to practice polygamy, and it's here in Arizona where many of them came to continue this peculiar belief.


from Cortez, CO

to Four Corners 039.8 mi
to Kayenta, AZ 079.5 mi
to Kaibito, AZ 065.0 mi
to Page, AZ 038.6 mi
to Kanab, UT 074.5 mi
to Colorado City, AZ 038.9 mi
to St. George, UT 043.0 mi
   
Total Distance 379.0 mi

Detailed Directions

No comments:

"After Long Gone" at One Sentence Poems

The first of three one-sentence ghost bike poems appearing this week at One Sentence Poems. After Long Gone