2.17.2007

Into Colorado, Over the Rockies, Past Durango, to Cortez

When I leave Syracuse in Kansas and pass over into Colorado, the road will still be flat. That's what people tell me. They say eastern Colorado is as flat as anywhere else and the hills, then the mountains, don't lift into the skyline until almost the center of the state. Sounds good to me! Looking at my maps and Google Earth, I don't see mountains until Alamosa (almost 8000 feet). They they climb to 10,000 feet. My hope is that by then my bike is still in one piece and the previous miles have whipped me into shape! In any case, Durango is on the other side of the mountains, and I hear one of Oprah's favorite chefs is in Durango. By the time I get there I ought to be hungry and I'll rest a day or two before pushing on to Cortez, my last stop before the Northern Arizona Strip.

from Syracuse, KS
 
to Lamar, CO048.0 mi
to La Junta, CO056.6 mi
to Wasenburg, CO076.0 mi
to Alamosa, CO072.3 mi
to South Fork, CO046.9 mi
to Pagosa Springs, CO042.4 mi
to Durango, CO060.1 mi
to Cortez, CO045.5 mi
 
Total Distance448.0 mi
  
Detailed Directions  

No comments:

"After Long Gone" at One Sentence Poems

The first of three one-sentence ghost bike poems appearing this week at One Sentence Poems. After Long Gone