5.17.2013

BALM day 5

I woke up this morning to the gronking of a sandhill crane flying over Point Beach State Forest. A spitting rain was already going on, and it would remain a rain spitting sleety day until we pedaled into Sturgeon Bay.

Whereas Gary and George thought the day was uncomfortable, I actually enjoyed it. My gear--Mariot raincoat, Navaro rain pants, Gortex slips over my Keen sandals, Pearl cold weather gloves--kept me warm and dry.

Whenever I felt myself beginning to get miserable, I would think of people met so far. No Clue, Wisconsin, the overweight Ranger truck driver who acted as if we were waving him past us into a head-on death-wrecking collision. The kind and interesting Bikers for Jesus. The owner of Paradigm gave me a tshirt. Numerous others--at stops, in camps--who have expressed amazement and interest of the BALM. And those who have helped with directions. Or I would try pronounce different words--luigi, cucumber, belly--in as many ways possible.

I kept expressing amazement at the absence of spring. This far up the Wisconsin coast of Lake Michigan not even the forsythia have broken into full bloom. Just inside Door County, we we were talking to a woman who had planted a vineyard in the snow! And today it was sleeting.

This has led me to,thinking of a possible topic for an essay: second chance: an essay that would be built around the idea of missing out on something the first go around and having a chance a second time: an essay about how many times we have a second chance to experience something beautiful.

All of this while biking in a cold rain. It's all worthwhile.

Heritage Farm in Land o Lakes butter country
Antique store
Downtown Kewaunee
It's cold enough!
Obviously not the season yet
Gnarly, twisted tree in Front of blue house; Algoma, WI
Gary with one wheel in Door County
Door County
 

No comments:

"After Long Gone" at One Sentence Poems

The first of three one-sentence ghost bike poems appearing this week at One Sentence Poems. After Long Gone