12.30.2006

It Ain't Bike Friday

The top bike to the left is an Air Glide from Bike Friday, slightly used, costing almost $2500. An Air Glide is considered by some to be the ultimate machine for cross country biking. What's neat about this bike is that it folds so that once you get to your destination you can fold it and ship it home.

The bottom bike to the left is my Jamis Dakar, almost twenty years old, that I'll be using on my trek from the Arch to Tor House. In 1987 I paid, I think, almost $500 for the bike. As I recall, I got a good deal because the dealer had the wrong sticker on the bike.

No matter the price or the age, the ancient Jamis Dakar is the bike I'll use to head west across Missouri and Kansas and well into Colorado to Durango, or even beyond to Lee Vining, California, if the bike will hold up. From Lee Vining, I want to set out on foot to Carmel. I'll post pictures of my feet, later.


The trek next summer will be a legendary end to the old Dakar. It's seen a lot of miles over the last two decades. It's almost been stolen, twice, and almost very year I've had it professionally maintained. So all in all, the bike's in excellent shape, though I'll take it to the dealer one last time in the spring for a complete overhaul. Then, when i reach the end of the road on the bike, I'll donate it to a charity or leave a sign on it: free bike. It ain't no spanking new Bike Friday.

No comments:

"After Long Gone" at One Sentence Poems

The first of three one-sentence ghost bike poems appearing this week at One Sentence Poems. After Long Gone