5.29.2007

Decision

I have rented a 10-foot UHaul here in Walsenburg, CO, and tomorrow I'll begin the drive with my bike and trailer back to St. Louis. I considered uhauling over La Veta and Wolf Creek passes and pick up the trek from Pagosa Springs. Truth be told, however, I think a moment would still come to abandon the trek. I half cooked, I am unable to enjoy the scenery and culture that much, the shortest route is not necessarily the easiest route, and, to be frank, I'm fatigued physically and mentally. And at the moment I'm hunkered down in my tent, hoping it withstands the windstorm outside.

Still, the trek has been and adventure. I've biked across Missouri and Kansas, and to the very foot of the Rockies--over a thousand miles. I've pushed myself farther than many others, and even during this truncated trek I met kind and interesting people. I'm sure as time goes by this road trip will become mythologocal--like Bull Durham.

I'm looking forward to gwtting home--to doing things with Ann and being with Alexa, our granddaughter, to riding my bike around St. Louis!

The blog will end upon the return of the UHaul in St. Louis.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard! You are tired, and most wouldn't have made it more than a few days...shoot, most wouldn't do it at all!!! Plan a next time, with bike rack to bike around an area? From an electric car? We miss our road trips..... I have enjoyed looking you up, tho, truely. love you Kathy

Anonymous said...

you've gone a thousand miles and that ain'(pardon the grammar professor) nothing to take lightly.
we look forward to seeing you back here and hearing in person about this great american adventure.
see you soon
barb and jack

Dave said...

Journeys never take us where we plan. I've really enjoyed reading about your amazing trek through America. You've seen more than most people will see in their entire lives, and it wasn't through tempered glass at 70 mph. A remarkable odyssey. Have a safe trip home, a great summer with your family, and I'll see you in the fall. Take Care Professor.

Anonymous said...

Hey Richard,
I think this is a really cool challenge to be taking on - I wish for you a smooth ride back home when you do start the return. I enjoyed the Kansas entries a lot; I lived in Hutchinson for 2 years and did grow to love the state.
safe travels!
Becky Parker

Anonymous said...

We think you did a great job! It will be good to see you here in St. Louis. You're an inspiration to us!

Today I am driving to campus in the rain, with my convertible top up.

"After Long Gone" at One Sentence Poems

The first of three one-sentence ghost bike poems appearing this week at One Sentence Poems. After Long Gone